Friday, August 7, 2009

Bean Soup

Wow... it's been over a month since I've updated! Yes, I'm still alive over here.

Just to let you know, right now my little brother is watching TV, and I'm actually pulled in by the commercial about space bags. Is that ridiculous or what? Don't worry, I'm not really buying them(yet!).

I will be coming back SOON, so for now I'll finally tell you about VBS (that was at the end of June! It's been a month and a half now!).

So, the group I was in was 2nd grade Purple. My job was to take care of an 8-year-old girl named Claire. I've known Claire for about 5 years or so now, and I go to her house to babysit her(and her siblings), and just help her mom with all that needs to be done to take care of a child with special needs. Yes, she actually has a lot of special needs. For the most part, sweet Claire can not walk, talk, or even feed herself. She is confined to a wheelchair for most of the day(well... not at home so much, but that's beside the point), but honestly one of the sweetest little girls I've ever met. While, honestly, I would have preferred to be helping as a "Shepherd"(what our church calls a leader of a group, eg. 2nd Purple), I was a true servant and acted as Claire's buddy for the week(they wanted me because I know a lot about how to care for her and love on her in the ways she needs).

The group we were in was a hoot though.

Justin, an 8y.o. soon-to-be 3rd grader, was quite fond of my BFF Kara. She was one of the hand motion girls on stage, and her 5'4, 100lb, size ZERO body with blonde hair just about won him over. The fact that she is a real ballet dancer thrilled him as well. He didn't even know I knew her until I went into the Adult Break Room to grab a quick bite, and he peeked in(even though he wasn't supposed to) and saw me talking to her. This is how our conversation went:

Justin: "You know her?!"

Me: "What?"

Justin: *while pointing to Kara* "You know her? The girl that's on stage?"

Me:(not knowing the fact that he liked her... or the extent of his infatuation) "Yeah! That's my friend Kara. We're like this *fingers crossed*"

Justin: "Kara?"

Me: "Yeah. Kara."

Justin: "Oh... I like her." (with a BIG shy smile on his adorable little face)

Me: "Ohhhhhh... Really?"

Justin: "Yep."(with those little eyes that won't look at you because of the "embarrassment".)

... and that was just the start of many conversations that entire week about Kara. I'm just SO glad he didn't go around telling everyone that he loved Kara. Liking I can handle, loving is a bit too far in my(humble) opinion.

The next day when I told him I had spent the night at her house, he was just about floored. He ended up giving her a note on a pink notecard that read: "Kara. I like you. *heart* Justin". Although the only gift she received from him was a bag with bean soup(well... beans and seasonings that was supposed to be given to someone who needed food...it was part of our outreach. so much for that!), she knew about his liking of her.

It was probably the highlight of my week. I told Kara that if she ever had any doubts about anyone thinking of her as beautiful, she could just think back to the week that Justin was head over heels inlove like her.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany